[TYPO3-core] RFC: #13797: Move checkbox "secondary options" to users module

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Mar 26 23:06:15 CET 2010

Georg Ringer schrieb am 11.03.2010 10:39:

> This is SVN path request.
>
> Type: feature
>
> Branches: trunk
>
> Problem:
> It makes much more sense to move the checkbox "secondary options" to the
> user's settings module. This will also make the BE a bit cleaner
>
> Solution:
> Move the option to user settings module and now it is also possible to
> use a User TsConfig like
> setup.default.extendedView = 1
> setup.override.extendedView = 1
>
> Additional information:
> I introduced this patch some time ago (#10533) and Stefan Ritter told me
> it would fit better into a seperate one. He gave also already a +1 on
> reading & testing

Ok, here is my review:

I guess you are mixing up two separate things.

1) There is something in the list view which is labeled "Extended view".
This checkbox allows to displays most of the context menu icons as a
"icon bar" in the list view. Internally this is called "bigControlPanelt".

2) In the document editing view (and in the Quick-Edit mode) there is
"Show secondary options (palettes)", which allows to display all
palettes by default (instead of the user having to click them open one
by one).

What is confusing in your patch is that you labeled it "Extended view",
and the CSH also leads one to think you mean 1), where you in fact are
changing 2).

Other than that, there needs to be a migration path for users that have
already made the decision about "showPalette" (in the module) so that it
will be the same after the upgrade.

In this case I suggest to avoid a new setting in "uc", but to continue
using  the key moduleData[xMOD_alt_doc.php][showPalettes] as it is now.
To do that we need to adapt the user settings part to be able to store
stuff anywhere inside the "uc" (instead of just at the "first level" of
the array).

This would make it easy in future to migrate other module settings to
the user settings without breaking the compatibility.

Wait a bit, and I will propose a new patch... (#typo3-bugday...)

Cheers,
Ernesto