[TYPO3-core] RFC #13379: Sprite Icon API

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Wed Mar 24 15:44:37 CET 2010

Hey everybody,

first off -- thanks for the great work you've already been investing in
the Sprite Icon API. I have just reviewed it together with Benni, and
we'd have some suggestions how to structure the API a bit better.

They are summarized in three pictures:
http://skitch.com/skurfuerst/n5t7p/window
http://skitch.com/skurfuerst/n5t7x/window
http://skitch.com/skurfuerst/n5t7w/window

In the bubbles, you find the arguments of the methods, and a little
explanation.

I'd like to explain some possible program flows based on the diagrams:

1) getSpriteIcon
- for every overlay:
  - call getSpriteIconCssClasses
  - call buildHtmlIconTag
- for the base icon:
  - call getSpriteIconCssClasses
  - call buildHtmlIconTag

2) getSpriteIconForFile
... only accepts the file extension, with the special file extensions
"folder" and "mount"
- calls the method "file no overlay" (which still has to be named
  properly)
  - resolves the appropriate CSS class
  - call and return getSpriteIconCssClasses
- call buildHtmlIconTag

3) getSpriteIconForRecord
... analogous to the one above, just taking into accounts overlays as well.

I'm curious about your feedback :-)

Unfortunately I won't have time to implement this API; but maybe some of
you have? (I know that for instance Steffen Gebert wants to look on this
again ;) ) -- I'd be cool if you'd find the time to implement that.

Greets,
Sebastian