[TYPO3-core] RFC #12661: Problem with german "Umlaute" in BE file list, no thumbs generated

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 21 12:20:17 CET 2010

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert schrieb:
>> Solution: if $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['UTF8filesystem'] is set
>> LC_CTYPE locale is set with a generally available locale which
>> supports the utf-8 character set. After escapeshellarg is called
>> the original locale is restored.
>
> Ok, but why do you tyr to set 'en_US', 'American', 'ENG', 'English'?

It's hard to tell which locales are installed on a server. These are
accepted by Windows servers.

> Nitpicking: Wouldn't it be better to set the locale also for the
> whole BE? Currently the admin can only define the locale for FE
> rendering but the BE runs always in the same locale (with the locale
> set oustide of TYPO3).

Yes, that would be better. I think that the locale settings for the
entire backend will influence more than just the working of
escapeshellarg. What will happen with settings for date and time
formats, etc.?

Anyway, this bug was introduced when esacpeshellarg was used instead of
wrapping the filename in double quotes. This is the least disruptive way
to solve it.

--
Jigal van Hemert.