[TYPO3-core] RFC #13701: Bug: @ini_set() works only on windows, on some unices it could render the function unusable

netz-haut - stephan seitz s.seitz at netz-haut.de
Wed Mar 3 13:42:00 CET 2010

> On 2010-03-01 16:53:25 +0200, netz-haut - stephan seitz said:
> > Anyway, the @ini_set() call does not work on most Unices
>
> This is a statement without any proof. Please, avoid saying such stuff
> unless you have numbers to confirm your story :)

Thanks for your response. You're right, I need to proof that. What I want to say is, that it's functionality regarding "sendmail_from" is restricted on each standard installation of RHEL5/Centos5, Debian Lenny, Ubuntu 8.10 (and I'ld blindly state this for every later release), OpenSolaris and NetBSD. These are the systems, I'm able to verify. To step deeper into that issue: Ancient sendmail didn't take much care of setting the sender of a mail. This "feature" has been abandoned in above listed standard configuration files. Most of the listed distros switched over to postfix as the default MTA. This MTA never offered this feature by default. I'm not saying that it's impossible to get the -f switch back working for an unprivileged user, I'm speaking for out-of-the-box configurations. Also, it's very unlikely to have a responsible server-admin turning this feature on by demand as you're able to fake everything and trick the MTA into a nice spambot. Personally, I'ld prefer clear ESMTP as you'll always get the benefit of existing and valid sender addresses. I've seen countless TYPO3 Installations that claimed to be "mail at example.org" or similar by mail. I known that my statements are more prophetic than technical, but this is my point of view from down at the machine room ;)