[TYPO3-core] RFC #14919: New feature: Better charset transformation by adding autodetection

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 29 20:45:57 CEST 2010

Ralf Büchner wrote:
> Better charset transformation by adding autodetection for
> [SYS][t3lib_cs_convMethod] and [SYS][t3lib_cs_utils]

Now that I think about it and see the way the functions are built, it
might be a good strategy to:
- do the autodetection in the install tool to provide a suggestion for
the setting
- use variable functions to call the right function depending on the
settings
- use a try/catch construction for situations where the settings are not
supported by the system (e.g. mbstring in settings, but functions are
not available), log error and use default.

I haven't tried this strategy, but I think there can be a performance
gain in losing the if...elseif...elseif constructions.

Just an idea, any thoughts of others?

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert