[TYPO3-core] RFC #14793: htmlArea RTE: Problematic icons in IE6

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 24 11:15:35 CEST 2010

JoH asenau wrote:
>>> I thought so too. However, it got broken the day before release,
>>> so that now, in IE6, the icons are just as ugly as before in the
>>> BE, and completely broken in the FE. Who cares?
>> Icons in toolbars in IE6 look fine in BE. How can I reproduce this
>> "as ugly as before"?
>
> "ugly as before" means: Transparent PNGs have been replaced with GIF
> for IE6.

I was confused then, because the first post in this thread described:
"They have a black border and a blue background coming from God knows
where! The same icons also have this bluish background in the context
menu and in the header of dialogue windows."

> I am sure that in most of the cases people prefer a good performance
> over smooth icons. And since the design is the same and the only
> drawback are 8bit colors and no smooth edges I guess IE6 users can
> live with those "ugly" icons.

I agree. IE6 users had 8-bit GIF icons and the new icons are certainly
not a step back. The speed of the UI is certainly an important part of
the user experience. And having sprites (GIF for IE6) is something which
IE6 users can also enjoy!

Very good decision to drop the PNGfix completely.

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert
msn: jigal at xs4all.nl