[TYPO3-core] RFC #14793: htmlArea RTE: Problematic icons in IE6

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Jun 24 09:19:52 CEST 2010

>> I thought so too. However, it got broken the day before release, so
>> that now, in IE6, the icons are just as ugly as before in the BE, and
>> completely broken in the FE. Who cares?
>
> Icons in toolbars in IE6 look fine in BE. How can I reproduce this "as
> ugly as before"?

"ugly as before" means: Transparent PNGs have been replaced with GIF for IE6.

This was due to the fact that the extended PNG fix that *should* have enabled transparent PNG sprites for IE6 as well
a) did not make all icons show up in the backend (even the same icon did not show up in every place it should have)
b) slowed down the rendering of the backend (on average machines each click took a few seconds just to wait for the icons to be replaced)
c) extremely slowed down the change between different editing forms in the backend (i.e. switching between pages took up to 30 seconds)

Without the extended PNG fix sprites would not have been possible at all in IE6 so each icon would have been shown as the one at the top of the sprite file.
So we moved back to GIF as a format, since it made the use of sprites possible without the need for any kind of hack or fix.

This made working in IE6 possible again, which would have been a complete nightmare with the PNG fix enabled.

I am sure that in most of the cases people prefer a good performance over smooth icons. And since the design is the same and the only drawback are 8bit colors and no smooth edges I guess IE6 users can live with those "ugly" icons.

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de