[TYPO3-core] RFC #14729: Backwards compatibility brocken by disabled deprecation log

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Fri Jun 18 15:47:57 CEST 2010

On 16.06.2010 14:47, Ingo Renner wrote:
>> I see it like this: TYPO3 should work out of the box when installed. It
>> should be as fast as possible and should not generate unneeded stuff.
>
> I don't count the deprecation log as unneeded, in fact it's very important:
> - for developers and admins to spot the usage of deprecated methods
> - for us core developers and contributors to eventually clean up the
> core from old stuff

yeah sorry of course it's not uneeded. It's very important for
developers but for running a working TYPO3 installation (even with
deprecated function calls) it's not needed.

There are definitely different levels of users and in MY opinion the one
with the least knowledge should be helped the most.

So let's think about a TYPO3 "Beginner":
- she can install and configure TYPO3 (with the install tool)
- he knows some extensions and how to install/deinstall them
- she knows some TS so she can build a basic layout with a menu
- he never coded PHP or created an extension

For this user the deprecation log is most likely unneeded. As she don't
understand the log and could do nothing about it.
Furthermore he is most likely not aware that there is such a log and
that it should be disabled in productive environments.

So let's think about a TYPO3 "Developer":
- knows TYPO3
- knows PHP
- has build his own extensions
- knows the log and how to disable/enable it

This user will most likely want the log and he will just activate it, as
he knows about it and how to handle it.

In my opinion this means:
If we compare these users the default should be the value that would
help the "Beginner" as he don't know of the log and will probably not
disable it (even if he should or is told to do so). The "Developer" will
just activate it.

This is meant just for official releases - during development it could
be enable by default, but if every developer has enabled it in his local
environment why the hassle to always disable it on release.