[TYPO3-core] RFC #14729: Backwards compatibility brocken by disabled deprecation log

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Jun 17 15:07:26 CEST 2010

Hi Ingo,

> please find attached v2 of the patch.
>
> The only addition is that the location of the deprecation log is
> mentioned in the status too now, and it also links to the file itself so
> that you can download the log file directly from the backend.

I was asked to look at this patch. I tested it and it works as expected.

+1 by reading and testing. Explanation follows:

It's important that features are not getting removed without notice.
That's why we introduced the deprecation log in 4.3, and I find it a bit
unlucky that this behaviour was changed in 4.4 without a clear notice
(you couldn't guess it by reading the ChangeLog [1]).

As a first step, the log should be enabled again because this is a
feature change (although the behaviour will now be the same like in 4.3,
which is good anyway).

We should still fix the other problems in a later versions. I especially
like the idea of Patrick that writing to the log should be stopped when
the threshold is reached. But this can go into 4.4.1 without problems.

Greetings, Michael

PS: I'm afraid we have these last-minute conflicts of interest in almost
every version. But I'm glad that Ingo discovered it before the RC
release, even though this was pretty late...

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/diff/typo3v4-core?rev=7616