[TYPO3-core] RFC: #14708: Version selector looks cryptic

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Mon Jun 14 17:59:26 CEST 2010

Hi,

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>> yeah, i also asked me this one. The info was there before, i only
>> changed the label. But i think we can get rid of this as there is the
>> button for version management where all IDs are visible in the table.
>>
>> The only thing makes me unsure is, if a version is part of a workspace.
>> I myself use versions without workspace most.
>
> Looking at it as a user, I would say I do not care about numeric IDs. I
> would use a speaking name (such as "Christmas" or "Summer offers"). I'll
> never remember that Christmas is 5 or 7 and will never say "use version
> with id equals to five" :) It looks like this is pure technical stuff
> useful for debugging only. So it can be left out.

i think main reason was, that normally you have icons whith hover data
where ID is printed, in select you don't have this. And you never know
how users name their versions, maybe you get 3 times "test"

> We can change that later, of course, no problem.
>

> Btw, I really like how it looks like now! It is so much better than
> technical ##s and --s before!

thanks! :) I like it too. From my remember this select was exactly the
reason why i was such afraid about versions before, it makes version
looking so complicate!
Using versions (withoput workspaces) is a real nice feature, and imho
too unknown to most of the users. TV has a possibility to create a
version in page module, classic page module has not such possibility
(IMHO), so most users don't know how to create a version. Also improvable :)

vg Steffen