[TYPO3-core] RFC #14324: Feature: Add spriteGeneratorAPI to support the new sprite-icon-api

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Mon Jun 14 07:24:37 CEST 2010

Am 06.05.2010 22:30, schrieb Steffen Ritter:
> This is an SVN patch request.
>

> Type: Code cleanup
>
> Bugtracker references: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=14324
>
> Branches: trunk
>
> Problem:
> sprite-icon-api is now included in beta2. In short the task of this api
> ist to "replace" t3lib_iconWorks::skinImg for showing Icons in the
> backend, ass css-class with background.
> As sprite api works with css classes beside of image-Tags (likeskinImg)
> this will fail as long the icon is not included in the BE-stylesheet.
> Easiest example: The record icons of extension tables. List-Module would
> build them via spriteApi, but core-stylesheets cannot have css
> definitions for extension icons.
> Therefore, there has to be another API which handles icons building
> sprites in TYPO3.
> In the current sprite-icon-api I solved the problem with an temporary
> helper function buildTcaSpriteIcons, which builds an stylesheet-file for
> all tca-table-record icons and registers them as "usuable" in the
> sprite-icon-api. There, no sprite is generated but every icon is loaded
> as single background-image.
> In long term there has to be concept / handler to make this transparent
> and which might be able to auto generate sprite-files and additionally
> allows extension developers to register icons for use in the icon-api,
> so that, their be modules might be skinned to.
> Since there has been a very long discussion about "should we generate
> sprites", "should they be static", "sprites at all", "how many sprites
> should we have" etc. this concept has to be very flexible.
> So with Benni I thought about an concept, which could be implemented
> fast enough for 4.4, would allow enough flexibility to fullfill all
> wishes arised in the discussions.
>
> regards
>
> Steffen
Here's another follow up. Benni already looked at it and wanted me to
push it at follow up instead of rfc.

What it does:
  - renaming one Array
  - adding the overall wanted features that changes in Core-Icons also
trigger cache clearing
  - added an functionality fo easy addition of TCA type-Icons from
Extension ext_tables.php
Useful to add own icons via "module" feature of pages, or making icons
of own types available for tables using typeicon_classes feature without
the need for the extension author to take caere of.