[TYPO3-core] RFC #14711: Feature: Add XCLASS to class.t3lib_iconworks.php for developing alternative backend-skins

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Sun Jun 13 13:05:26 CEST 2010

Am 13.06.2010, 12:49 Uhr, schrieb Stephan N Kellermayr
<stephan.kellermayr at t3x.at>:

> type: feature
bugfix

> bugtracker references:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=14711
>
> branches:
> trunk, current branch
trunk = current branch ;-)

> at the moment there is no possibility to extend the class
> 't3lib_iconworks', which is very bad for redesigning the backend,
> because you stuck on the implemented functions which handles the sprites
> and icons.
>
> or is there a convincing reason why this class cannot be extended?

Ah, because it's static?
You can't remove the static keywords from the method signature, when it's
ment to be used this way:
t3lib_iconworks::skinImg() etc.
Or can we, because PHP bullshit allows as to call them, even without
having it declared sa static?

I currently have no clue, if there's a way to extend a static class (so if
we remove the final keyword). But XCLASSing it isn't possible, as calls to
the static functions aren't handled through t3lib_div::makeInstance().

So I wonder, how it works with Stephan's patch in his skin extension, but
as it obviously does, maybe we should give the chance, to extend
t3lib_iconworks.

Sorry.. nearly all my PHP-OO knowledge has been replaced by Java and C#,
so could please sb. tell us, why we could / should (not) do this?

Steffen