[TYPO3-core] RFC: #14628: Open t3lib_db for own instance

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 6 12:15:48 CEST 2010

Steffen Kamper wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert schrieb:
>> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>>> This allows to make own instances in extension when connection to
>>> another DB is needed, so you can use the API as usual, and also DBAL
>>> support.
>>
>> But DBAL can be used to connect to another DB (also another MySQL db)?
> this is true but isn't point of this RFC.

You probably guessed the next question, but I'm going to ask it anyway
in order to get an answer ;-) :

Then what is the point of this RFC?

>> Can you give us a use case and an example for how to use this
>> alternative method?
> i showed in the RFC how this will be done:
>
> $this->db = t3lib_div::makeInstance('t3lib_DB');
> $this->db->connectDB($host, $user, $password, $dbName);

And what about a use case? In which circumstances did you need a second
db object where the DBAL solution for a different handler for certain
tables wasn't sufficient?

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert