[TYPO3-core] RFC #14551: Sorting missing in "template overview"

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Thu Jun 3 21:14:29 CEST 2010

Hey,

Reinhard Führicht wrote:
> Problem:
> The overview of all TS templates shows a tree like view listing all
> pages having a ts template on them. But this view doesn't sort the pages
> by "sorting" like in the pagetree. This results in a different order.
>
> Solution:
> Add sorting to the exec_SELECTquery call.

Hmm, with your patch (order by sorting) my tree looks even more random.

Imho this is not fixable on a simple query base (correct me if I'm
wrong). I think you'd have to iterate through the tree with single
queries, then get sorted childrecords. But this would probably lead to a
nice performance problem with large trees (tons of queries).
Another idea is to get all records with one query (like it's done now),
and build the tree with some more sophisticated php logic that takes
sorting depending on pid (treelevel) into account. Maybe we're able to
get rid of the (expensive but maybe cached) t3lib_BEfunc::BEgetRootLine
call this way, too.

My 2 cents
Christian