[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #15289: Element-Browser page tree has HSC'ed <span> elements

Oliver Hader oliver at typo3.org
Fri Jul 30 15:22:21 CEST 2010

This is an SVN patch request.

Type: Bugfix / Regression-Fix

Bugtracker references:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15289

Branches: TYPO3_4-1, TYPO3_4-2, TYPO3_4-3, TYPO3_4-4, Trunk

Problem:
By using the regular element browser on pages and having pages that
contain a navigation title, the title is escaped twice.

Solution:
By analyzing the source code, we can be sure that the title for regular
pages (not for files and folders) are escaped by htmlspecialchars()
before. Thus, the superfluous HSC go removed. However, this opens
another possibility to introduce XSS with domain names (this is
currently safe due to the possible double HSC).

How to reproduce:
* add a navigation title (nav_title) for a page
* open an element browser (e.g. edit a page record, and select a general
storage folder)
* see the double escaped page title

Notes: I'm kindly asking someone of the TYPO3 Security Team to also have
a look at this issue. Thanks!

olly
--
Oliver Hader