[TYPO3-core] RFC #14920: Cache cannot be cleared in IE8

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Jul 28 00:14:05 CEST 2010

On 7/27/10 1:39 PM, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please consider the attached patch, as it uses the replace() function,
> which is much cleaner way of replacing an icon back and forth.
>
> This doesn't work in IE8:
>
> 	Element('span', { 'class': 'spinner'});
>
> This works and is also how it is documented at the prototype API.
>
> 	new Element('span').addClassName('spinner');
>
> Adding the classname after creation is a fix needed to make it also work
> on IE8.
>
> Same issue applies to the "shortcutmenu", it is currently not possible
> to add any backend module as a shortcut with IE8. I filed #15252, please
> review that patch too (RFC in a couple of minutes), because it is the
> same solution.
>
> Cheers,
> Ernesto
>
> Steffen Gebert schrieb am 27.07.2010 00:28:
>> Hi!
>>
>> This is a SVN patch request.
>>
>> Type: Bugfix
>>
>> Bugtracker reference:
>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=14920
>>
>> Branches:
>> 4_4, trunk
>>
>> Problem:
>> When you try to clear the cache in IE8 using the menu in the toolbar,
>> the icon disappears and a JS error occurs. The cache is *not* cleared.
>>
>> Solution:
>> Work around this weird prototype issue
>>
>> Note:
>> Already tested in IE6-8, Opera 10.60, Safari 4, FF3.0/3.6
>> Please verify!
>>

>> Steffen

+1 on reading. I also gave it a quick sanity check by testing in Safari
but that doesn't warrant the full +1 on testing, just confirmation that
nothing breaks.

One minor nitpick can be addressed during commit or ignored. oldIcon
would be a little clearer if it were named clearCacheIcon.  Unlike
#15252, the parent variable IS needed here.