[TYPO3-core] RFC: #13797: Move checkbox "secondary options" to users module

Helmut Hummel helmut at typo3.org
Sat Jul 17 14:32:41 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 13.04.10 17:14, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:

>> No mixing up here - I really mean "secondary options"
>>
>> Sometimes you need them, then you activate the checkbox - sometimes -
>> especially when it comes to huge backend forms with lots of unnecessary
>> stuff within these options (i.e. within nested IRRE forms) - you deactive
>> them - just to activate them again within other elements. - So this is
>> nothing which is always on or off by default, even though you might be used
>> to another kind of workflow yourself.
>>
>> But since it doesn't break anything and it doesn't disturb the workflow I
>> don't see a good reason to move it, since the "average impact" on the
>> workflow will be worse than before.
>
> Joey, I guess you are right, I agree. So -1 on that new feature.

We had the same discussion, when it came to removing the "Show field
descriptions" and "Disable Rich Text Editor (RTE)" checkboxes, which
were in the same place in TYPO3 versions prior to 4.2.

Peter Niederlag argued back then, that enabling and disabling RTE cearly
belongs to his regular workflow, but he was overruled by the argument
that a regular editor would not have the needs to do so.

While I agree that this might be different for the "Show secondary
options" checkbox, I still think that this (also) belongs to the user
setup module from a logical point of view.

Enabling/ disabling this checkbox does not affect only this current
editing form but _all_ editing forms for this user. So it actually
behaves like a user setting, but is not available as a user setting in
the dedicated module, as well as it is not possible for an admin to
check or uncheck this setting for a specified user or group.

So if there is a need for this checkbox also below an editing form, from
a usability perspective, it should only affect this special form and the
setting should also be kept for this form only.

Then we could enable a user to choose a default behaviour in his or her
user settings, while still beeing able to override this default for each
and every form as needed.

While this might not be the easiest thing to implement, I nevertheless
think this would be the cleanest solution, though not really backwards
compatible.

Regards Helmut