[TYPO3-core] RFC #11221 : Feature : Separate firstname and lastname columns in fe_users table

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Sat Jan 23 18:15:21 CET 2010

> I prefer the new idea of having a separate table for persons. Just
> think of fe_users and tt_address for instance, many people need to
> store same information in both tables due to different extensions. If
> there were an slimmed-down person table we could relate a fe_user to
> a person, a be_user to a person and many other extensions. My only
> concern is to have a good model for a person, with multiple potential
> addresses and emails.

Exactly that's what I had in mind. This would be the job for tt_adress then.
Just think of a shop system, that would need different adresses for one
person: A home adress, an office adress and some additional delivery
adresses. Each of them would be an own record in tt_adress that would be
connected to the person.
This way you could even get rid of redundancies in tt_adress itself, because
just one office adress record could be related to all the persons working in
this office.

Instead of having extensions with their own fields for personal data, they
should just relate to a person and then use the name provided by this
person's record. Just via already existing relations, this record would
offer much more additional information about the person, that could be used
by these extensions as well.

In fact you can break down most of the "personal" stuff into 4 categories:
individuals, locations, dates and content.
These four tables and a sophisticated system of relations between them would
be enough for most of the shops, blogs, news, calendars and forums.

I understand that this might not be realistic for 4.4, but maybe this should
go into another thread or we could discuss it here to get something like
that working at all:
http://forge.typo3.org/wiki/extension-scotty

TYPO3 is based on a relational database - lets make use of it!

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de