[TYPO3-core] RFC #5046, #6506: Autocomplete OFF for BE-Login form

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jan 8 14:09:30 CET 2010

Bernhard Kraft schrieb:
> Felix Oertel wrote:
>
>> We had this discussion about one month ago. Setting the attribut per
>> JS is not valid either, it generates invalid XHTML in the DOM but the
>> validator is not smart enough to see that. ;-)
>
> Ähm. Yes. But I assume this is the case in more situations. Or did you
> do an DOM validation on all code generated by JavaScript???
>
> In my opinion the whole thing must only deliver valid XHTML if you feed
> the URL to some W3C validator. In fact valid XML/HTML only makes sense
> so parsing does not need to take special care about unexpected things.
> So the XML/HTML must just follow the DTD. In this case the DTD is not
> violated except if you would start applying the DTD to the parsed DOM
> tree in the browsers memory ... I guess no browser does this.

If this is just cosmetical (meaning who needs to pass the backend XHTML
through the validator), why bother? Both solutions are invalid anyway
(one is invalid XHTML, the other is invalid DOM), so why not just use
the mostly used and simple solution of having that attribute in the XHTML?

Purists cannot argue that one is "more valid" than the other. :)

Browsers don't care about the attribute. Even IE8 stays in standards
mode with it.

Cheers,
Ernesto