[TYPO3-core] RFC #11968: Sporadic random Backend Logoffs / Add X-UA-Compatible flag

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jan 8 13:54:22 CET 2010

Steffen Gebert schrieb:

> This is a SVN patch request.
>
> Type: Bugfix
>
> Branches: 4-3, trunk
>
> BT ref: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=11968
>
> Problem:
> IE8 has a pathetic way to switch from its normal mode to the
> Compatibilty mode (aka. IE7): All cookies are lost and so all sessions
> are lost.
> This results in a aprupt BE logout, as soon as any Markup/JS error
> causes IE8 to switch to the Compatibility mode.
>
> Solution:
> Add
> to prevent the switch to the compatibility mode. BE works with IE8 and
> so we can do this!

+1 on reading and testing. And have that also added to 4.2 (patch is
different because there was no addMetaTag() function.

For those who don't like that flag, feel free to suggest a better way to
solve it.

But please be aware that fixing all XHTML issues in the core is of
course desired and we will someday "be there". But what about the
"meantime"? What about third party extensions? What about random issues
we introduce in future without noticing? The only noticeable bug that
will constantly and randomly reappear is "random logoffs in IE8". Adding
this switch will kill that issue fast and forever and we stop wondering
why it does happen and where exactly. And it is also exactly the purpose
of that switch, to inform the browsers of the future in which IE version
the site (backend) works with.

Cheers,
Ernesto