[TYPO3-core] RFC #13406: thumbs.php: Thumbnails for images with transparent background look ugly

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Sun Feb 21 15:46:47 CET 2010

Andreas Wolf schrieb:
> This is an SVN patch request.
>
> Type: Bugfix
>
> Bugtracker references:
>  http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=13406
>
> Branches:
>  TYPO3_4-1
>  TYPO3_4-2
>  TYPO3_4-3
>  trunk
>
> Problem:
>
> When viewing a thumbnail generated by thumbs.php for a file in the
> backend, the background of transparent images gets filled and looks
> really ugly. This seems to be related to a downsampling of the image's
> colordepth. This downscaling is done in t3lib/thumbs.php, presumably to
> save disk space and bandwidth.
>

> Solution:
>
> Do not downsample the color depth of images in thumbs.php.
>
> As lines are faster and disks are cheaper now than 2003, this is
> unneccessary. So the whole downscaling for GIFs and PNGs should be
> removed. Attached patch fixes this.
>

> Regards
> Andreas

+1 on reading and testing

attached is v2 against current trunk:
changes i did:
  - removed commented out lines above (there's no comment why they are
not active anymore, so they may be removed)
  - in #12341 the Problem of ImageFrames in Filenames with [] has been
fixed. The function we touched hier, does the same. So I removed the []
like done in #12341 too

regards

Steffen