[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #13508: Use exec_TRUNCATETABLEquery() instead of DELETE FROM throughout the core

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Fri Feb 12 10:45:24 CET 2010

Hi,

> Add $allowTruncate parameter to DELETE which is TRUE by default. This
> way every DELETE automatically gets faster (TRUNCATE) and if some
> extension really NEEDS the triggers or the auto-increment counter, it
> can disable it.

After thinking still a bit, I'm against a DELETE that performs a TRUNCATE in underground "automagically" even if it makes stuff seem easier. Problem is that whenever I have constraints on a foreign
table such as ON DELETE CASCADE, TRUNCATE cannot be used. This is a major drawback and means we definitively need a dedicated method that is public.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en