[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #13508: Use exec_TRUNCATETABLEquery() instead of DELETE FROM throughout the core

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov+t3ml at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:21:44 CET 2010

On 2010-02-11 10:04:55 +0200, Xavier Perseguers said:
> Well, it's not standard SQL I agree but it is implemented by all
> officially supported databases:
>
> - MySQL (of course)
> - MSSQL [1]
> - Oracle [2]
> - PostgreSQL [3]

Still it is not a reason to add another method (see below).

> Well, please post this to FYI #13504 and I'll possibly make a follow-up
> with change to make those methods protected instead (for instance).
> Kind of a "post-review". Sorry, I really took it as a bug fix more than
> a new feature, but it makes sense.

My post is not related to #13504 :) I am against adding a new method
when it is possible to optimize existing method. By optimizing we hide
complexity and we do not force developers to do more choices.

As a developer, I'd like to simply use exec_DELETEquery. Why should I
care if TRUNCATE is faster? I need to focus on my task, not on such
minor issues :)

May be today TRUNCATE is faster and tomorrow it is not. This handling
should be hidden inside the API, not inside every extension. Developers
must not care what they use: DELETE or TRUNCATE. They must have exactly
*one* way to do their task, not many ways. The system should decide on
the implementation of DELETE, not the developer.

You know the phrase: "be simple and people will like it". This is what
I try to do with my -1 to this RFC: be simple to developers :) Don't
make them think when it is not necessary.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 core team member / TYPO3 security team member