[TYPO3-core] RFC #16656 : bug : ImageMagick does not work with quotes in exec() path on Windows

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Mon Dec 20 16:20:59 CET 2010

On 12/17/10 3:30 PM, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 17-12-2010 18:18, Jeff Segars wrote:
>> I guess technically this bug could occur anywhere that exec() is used
>> but its just the case that we only see it in image processing right now?
>
> It would happen with any exec(), system(), etc. call if the three
> conditions are met:
> - OS is Windows
> - more than two double quotes
> - PHP < 5.3
>
>> Adding a wrapper for exec() would fix it everywhere (in the theoretical
>> cases we haven't seen), but would expand the scope of the patch so I'm
>> not sure if its worth it or not. What do you think?
>
> In a lot of cases exec() is used for 'cp', 'mv', etc. commands. What
> worries me more is that it happens only with PHP < 5.3. Last weeks
> release of 5.2 was the last in the 5.2 range, so if 4.6 will have a
> minimum of PHP 5.3 we should remove the wrapper again.
>
> Will you give your vote for a global wrapper? :-)

I'll definitely review and test a global wrapper, but I wasn't trying to
insist on it.

Since the issue is limited to very specific paths and server
configurations, I personally don't have a problem with a simple patch
(like you already created) that focuses on the areas where we know the
problem occurs.  I did want to raise the issue in case others had
different opinions and felt like a broader patch was better :)

If the current, simpler approach is decided to be the right one you have
my +1 on reading and +0.5 on testing that it doesn't break anything
outside Windows.

Thanks!
Jeff