[TYPO3-core] RFC: #16737: sendCacheHeaders: Wrong usage of Pragma: public and no-cache

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Tue Dec 14 09:01:58 CET 2010

Am 13.12.2010 20:37, schrieb Steffen Gebert:
> Hi Georg,
>
> thanks for your contribution!
>
>> - "Pragma: public" as http-header-response, never existed in HTTP/1.0
>> and neighter in HTTP/1.1, as public is implicit, thus should be removed.
> okay, fine with it

I think the idea is that a proxy/client that doesn't implement the Cache-Control: header, may
understand the Pragma: header. Note that the RFC allows ANY tokens as value.

>> - "Pragma: no-cache" is deprecated in HTTP/1.1 and should also be
>> removed, since "Cache-Control: no-cache ..." is returned anyway and
>> correct.
> Doesn't matter that it's deprecated in 1.1, as the response is 1.0 ;)
> Therefore I would leave it as it is.

IMHO the correct answer would be HTTP/1.1. This is the correct way to signal a protocol upgrade to
the client. Yet I would leave the Pragma: header in place.

I'm not sure what the reasoning of the patch is. Is it to save bandwith? As the "no-cache" is more
important I would rather drop the "Pragma: public" but not the "Pragma: no-cache".

Masi