[TYPO3-core] RFC #16609: Usability: labels improvements - Enable frontend preview needs to be changed

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Dec 1 10:44:14 CET 2010

François Suter schrieb am 01.12.2010 10:31:
> Hi,
>
>> "Enable frontend preview" did just that: It enabled the "Preview" of a
>> workspace when the logged-in backend user was navigating in the frontend
>> (e.g. index.php?id=xx with no further parameters). It has the same
>> effect as manually adding the "&ADMCMD_view=1" when surfing the frontend.
>>
>> Annoying confusion is that the Web>View module*always*  adds a
>> ADMCMD_view=1 parameter, so that you always see the "Workspace preview"
>> even if no "Enable frontend preview" is chosen.
>>
>> This checkbox had nothing to do with the "split view", which is always
>> shown when you click on the Context menu of a page ("Show") or if you
>> click on "Show" in the workspace "show difference" module.
>
> I must say I never tried all these variants. What a total mess!
>
> So what do you suggest? And what should be done about "FYI: #11131 -
> Usability: labels improvements" in the workspaces list? It may be
> incorrect after all...

I suggest to keep the "old labels" as they were to not confuse the old
users even furthers (I guess noone really understands that checkbox anyway).

Then the usability experts have to decide what is really intended here
before we start relabeling existing checkboxes. In my opinion it should
be more intuitive what the frontend does in different scenarios:

Case A) Live version is selected:

1) Web>View + Click on a page
  => In frame frontend view of current page (preview status depending on
admin panel setting)
2) Click on page-tree context menu "Show"
  => New window view of current page
  Note: Maybe rename the action to "Show (new window)"

Case A) Some Workspace is selected

1) Web>View + Click on a page
  => In frame frontend preview of current workspace
2) Click on page-tree context menu "Show"
  => New window preview of current workspace (no "dual view" and
regardless of any "checkboxes!!")
3) Click on "Show" in the Workspace-Management utility
  => Show the split view

So no checkbox or "option" required in my opinion. The user just gets
what he expects in the different situations.

Cheers,
Ernesto