[TYPO3-core] RFC #16609: Usability: labels improvements - Enable frontend preview needs to be changed

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Dec 1 10:17:31 CET 2010

Steffen Ritter schrieb am 01.12.2010 09:41:
> Am 30.11.2010 22:29, schrieb François Suter:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> are you sure that this is the case in this case? To me it sounds like a
>>> bug in the label itself. If I understand correctly the meaning always
>>> has been "enable comparison view" only the actual label text was saying
>>> something confusingly different.
>>
>> I am. It inverts the current behavior (which will be much more logical
>> in the end, but means that the label cannot be changed).
>>
>> Cheers
>>
> quite difficult here, the label is for the same action, but gets a less
> technical sounding which is easier to understand - sure the "content" is
> another one, but that, what is is meant to be stayed the same -
> therefore I'm undecided.

No, the checkbox had a different semantic until now, which was not
really self explanatory. I just checked how it worked (in 4.4):

"Enable frontend preview" did just that: It enabled the "Preview" of a
workspace when the logged-in backend user was navigating in the frontend
(e.g. index.php?id=xx with no further parameters). It has the same
effect as manually adding the "&ADMCMD_view=1" when surfing the frontend.

Annoying confusion is that the Web>View module *always* adds a
ADMCMD_view=1 parameter, so that you always see the "Workspace preview"
even if no "Enable frontend preview" is chosen.

This checkbox had nothing to do with the "split view", which is always
shown when you click on the Context menu of a page ("Show") or if you
click on "Show" in the workspace "show difference" module.

So changing that label is indeed a no-go, because older versions are
affected.

If the usability of that checkbox was modified in the newer Workspace
module (to really enable the "split view"), this is something completely
different and needs to have also a different label (and probably also a
different setting in the be-user).

Cheers,
Ernesto