[TYPO3-core] RFC: #15573: Disable deprecation log in config_default

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Aug 31 10:50:46 CEST 2010

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb am 31.08.2010 09:44:
> Hi!
>
> Reinhard Führicht wrote:
>> Problem:
>> Currently $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['enableDeprecationLog'] is set to
>> 'file' in config_default.php resulting in huge deprecation log files.
>> A developer who cares, knows how to enable the deprecation log in order
>> to check what's going on.
>> A user of TYPO3 knows either nothing about a deprecation log or doesn't
>> know how to interprete it.
>>
>> Solution:
>> Disable deprecation log in default config
>
> I remember we agreed that deprecation log will be disabled during packaging
> of versions. Did it happen? I see no need for deprecation log on every
> production system. It will never be examined and only takes space. This is
> one of those things that developers love but real users hate (it only take
> space for which they often have to pay).

Hi Dmitry, thanks for re-initiating the discussion, but it was already
agreed that:

- deprecation log is important also in production, as you are made aware
of stuff that might break on further upgrades. This is as important to
developers as to admins that only have the job to "upgrade the site".

- deprecation log is the only meaningful way to *really* remove stuff
two versions after it was announced, as nobody can then come and say "oh
sh*, nobody told me this was going to break!!".

- so we won't change the default setting to "0" even on production
sites, because that logging makes even more sense on production.

- the main problem is that the log might grow very quickly, and this is
a technical problem. In a previous post, I suggested to improve the
existing solution, either having typo3 rotate the deprecation log or
maybe skip logging of lines that have been logged before (just log
unique ocurrences once per day for example). Just some thoughts to keep
that useful tool but avoid the "flooding" on upgrades.

Cheers,
Ernesto