[TYPO3-core] RFC #15241: Recognize php-fpm sapi for path generation.

Nikolas Hagelstein lists at shr.cc
Thu Aug 19 13:32:42 CEST 2010

Hi,
Am 19.08.2010 12:33, schrieb François Suter:
> I don't consider this critical enough to fix an older branch, but you
> can try to convince me to the contrary ;-)

Ok i'll give it a try ;).

With php-fpm you got a single root php-fpm deamon, that recieves php
request from the webserver (whatever it may be) and manages child worker
processes dynamically (according to pool configuration).

That means:
a. that it's possible to share SHM (shared memory) accross every running
php process. Which dramatically improces the efficience of php opcode
caches and reduces overall memory usage compared to any traditionall
fast-cgi solution (see http://yfrog.com/e4fastcgip).

b. PHP processmanagment is handled completly by the php-fpm deamon. So
it eliminates the crude mixture of fast-cgi PM/PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN
configuration.

c. Due to the fact, that the webserver connects to the fpm daemon by
local sockets or ip:port it's even possible to run fpm it on a separete
machine. Which adds new options of scalability.

d. see http://php-fpm.org/

For webservers other than apache there is no alternative to fastcgi/cgi
(there is nothing like mod_php for e.g. ngnix or lighty - though mod_php
isn't really an option for shared hosting anyway).

Bringing fpm support to 4.3 would it make easier for typo3 hosters to
change over to fpm.

Furthermore it would allow thoose already running e.g. nginx + fpm
(pretty common  combination) to host TYPO3 easily.

And as an "Enterprise content management system" we should support
highperformance solutions ;>.

Besides this, the actuall changes are pretty small and low risk since
the patch actually does nothing but adding a new sapi string.

Cheers,

Nikolas