[TYPO3-core] RFC #9606: Bug: alternativeSortingField does not work for other languages

Stefan Sprenger stefan.sprenger at dkd.de
Tue Aug 10 14:55:06 CEST 2010

Hi guys,

This is an SVN patch request.

Type: Bugfix

Bugtracker references:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9606

Branches:
trunk

Problem:
Menus that make use of alternativeSortingField don't sort correctly if the menu is shown in any language but the default language.

Let me show you a short example:
We got three pages named "first", "second" and "third". These pages are also available in german and are named "erster", "zweiter" and "dritter" in this translation.

If we set alternativeSortingField=title, the currently generated order of menu items is "first", "second", "third" for the default language and
"erster", "zweiter", "dritter"  for the german translation, that actually should be "dritter", "erster", "zweiter".

Solution:
A custom sort function is getting called, if the current display language is not the default language and if the
sorting field is not "sorting" (which is default). This sort function rebuilds the correct order of menu items.

Notes:
This patch fixes only the behavior for menus of type "directory". There might be other menu types, that still order incorrectly.

Best regards

Stefan