[TYPO3-core] RFC #15076: Bug: simple orphaned link in install tool

Susanne Moog info at susannemoog.de
Sun Aug 1 15:15:39 CEST 2010

On 11.07.2010 13:47, Felix Kopp — PHORAX wrote:
> Type: Bug
>
> Bugtracker references:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15076
>
> Branches:
> trunk & TYPO3_4-4
>
> Problem:
> Very first link in install tool is an orphaned link to http://typo3.org/1275.0.html.
> Beginners with TYPO3 might right away feel a hard hurdle.
>
> Solution:
> Correct link, point new users to the perfect online resources.
>
> Notes:
> Again from the quality assurance perspective, but I think essential to spread TYPO3 all over the world.
>
> But what exactly should be the perfect online resource?
>
> - The Wiki (displaying screenshots from TYPO3 3.6) /
> - the documentation library (further more: what about typo3.org redesign) /
> - the internal about-module?
>
> I guess the best resource is the up-to-date internal resource (about/help-module).
> Furthermore all users should be kept in the installation tool all time.

The problem is more: What happened to that page? I just had a look on
typo3.org and the page is just gone (it used to be at the "About"
section). Now the last information I found was a thread in the typo3.org
list about improving that page, but obviously the only "improvement" was
to take it offline. We should definitely put it online again, as - if I
was new to TYPO3 - I'd certainly expect system requirements on the
systems home page. (Additionally it's not only this link in core that
got broken, but many many more on typo3.org itself and in manuals).

In fact I'd like to see a permanent link like
typo3.org/system-requirements that can be used now and after the
redesign with the content of the system requirements in the INSTALL.txt
that is distributed with every TYPO3 installation.

OT: I don't trust a link to the wiki too much, especially if I can see
that it wasn't updated in ages...

So I'd like to move this to the typo3.org mailing list first to really
get the perfect online resource...

Cheers,

Susanne