[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug 5678: Missing clearer div in csc-textpic-intext-left/csc-textpic-intext-right

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Tue Apr 13 17:04:44 CEST 2010

>>> .csc-textpic:after{
>>> content: ".";
>> (...)
>>> This works for all my projects cross-browser.
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>> Just tested the :after with content:
>> FF 3.6.2 : works
>> IE6 : doesn't work
>> IE7 : doesn't work
>> IE8 : works (only with a !DOCTYPE header)
>> Chrome 4.1 : works
>> Safari 4.0.3 : works
>>
>> If this is acceptable...
>>
> It does not really matter in which browsers :after works. The whole
> bunch of declarations in common does provide the desired functionality
> cross-browser.

The problem is, that each of them is based on a hack to make it visible for
certain browsers only.
As soon as any of these browsers will not ignore the rest of the hacks or
maybe not "see" it's own hack, you run into serious problems, which is one
of the current problems with IE8 being sent to compatibility mode.

Remember the old days when Netscape was IE's only competitor?
Many people used document.layers and document.all as an identifier. Now
guess what happened, when Netscape kicked layers completely ...

IMHO a system with the popularity of TYPO3 should never rely on hacks but
always use a straight and standards compliant solution.

If this means that we have to rely on a clearing HTML element - so what?

Just another 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de