[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug 5678: Missing clearer div in csc-textpic-intext-left/csc-textpic-intext-right

Sebastian Gebhard sebastiangebhard at hoch2.de
Tue Apr 13 17:00:35 CEST 2010

> Most of the YAML CSS stuff is already ugly, but this is one of the ugliest
> CSS hacks I have ever seen.
> And many of these "browser hacks" (CSS and JS related) used in the current
> BE are i.e. the reason for IE8 to switch to compatibility mode and lose the
> session.
>
> A valid, clear and "browser safe" way of clearing floats is done with a
> clearing HTML element and this is how CSC should do it as well.
>
> If you don't want a clearing DIV container, maybe a BR will fit better from
> a semantical point of view, but please don't make the most important
> "extension" of TYPO3 depend on hacks like that!
>
> Just my 2 cents
>
> Joey

.clearfix does not force IE8 into compatibility mode, is valid CSS and
has no side-effects.

Using markup to clear floats clearly breaks the concept of HTML (for
content) and CSS (for styling). It does not matter whether you take a
DIV, a BR or any other tag for clearing.

Markup-less clearing shrinks the HTML which is positive for performance
and SEO.

It would be a pitty if we used markup for clearing just because
.clearfix looks ugly.