[TYPO3-core] RFC: #13797: Move checkbox "secondary options" to users module

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Tue Apr 13 15:53:12 CEST 2010

>> any news here?
>
> Thanks for reminding, Benni. Sorry, my work started with the simple
> change and then ended with a concept of being able to set any
>   moduleData setting through the users module. And then the bug day
> was over, and the patch was not 100% finished. :)
>
> So what's the "deadline" for this new feature? Is feature freeze
> today??

I don't think it's a good "feature".

Original reason was:
> It makes much more sense to move the checkbox "secondary options" to
> the user's settings module. This will also make the BE a bit cleaner

Why does it make more sense and under which circumstances?
Usually I can enable/disable secondary options quickly when necessary.
This is done within the BE module that I am currently working with and this
is how it make sense.

Need to see secondary options? => Check => Do something => Do something else
=> Don't Need them anymore => Uncheck => Go on

I guess people do not really want to additionally switch to the user
settings each time during that "workflow" just to have a "cleaner" backend:

Need to see secondary options? => Go To User Settings => Check => Save => Go
back => Do something => Do something else => Don't Need them anymore => Go
To User Settings => Uncheck => Save => Go on

Usability is not just about the look of an interface but about the working
speed you can gain from it as a power user as well.

So -1 for this patch because IMHO it is not necessary at all.

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de