[TYPO3-core] FYI: Added feature #14064: Install tool refactoring

Patrick Broens patrick at netcreators.com
Sun Apr 11 17:07:27 CEST 2010

FYI: The attached SVN patch was committed.

Type:
Feature

Problems:
* It is very hard to style the install tool, because of strange
constructs everywhere
* The output cannot be validated
* For the new upcoming Introduction Package we need hooks for the 1-2-3
installer which makes it possible to overwrite and add steps
* The install tool does not fit to the skin in the backend and needs
separate styling when stand alone.

Solutions:
* Make parts of the install tool templateable
* HTML which stays in the code, must be simple, like text within plain
paragraph tags
* Take care of clean HTML which can be validated
* Add hooks to class.tx_install.php
* Start implementing new ExtBase like directory structure, right now
only for Resources.
* The install tool will look different when entering it from the backend
or as stand alone. When entering it from backend, this will be stored in
the install tool session.

Bugtracker references:
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=14064

Branches:
trunk (revision 7290)

Information on reviews:
There will be post reviews on this topic. I've discussed this with Benni
Mack.

Notes:
This project was started at the T3UXW09 and has it's own project page on
Forge: http://forge.typo3.org/projects/show/typo3v4-installrefactoring [^].

It has not been finished yet. In the second phase we will try to split
up the huge class.tx_install.php file into smaller chunks, so it is
better readable and maintainable.

The contents of the attached zip contains the images and should be
unzipped in the folder /Resources/Public/Images/ of the extension in
typo3/sysext/install/

Cheers

Patrick