[TYPO3-core] RFC #13977: Improve OpenID association handling

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Fri Apr 2 15:12:52 CEST 2010

On Apr 2, 2010, at 2:04 AM, Martin Kutschker wrote:

> Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
>> Hi!
>>
>> This is SVN patch request.
>>
>> Type: tweak (stability issue)
>>
>> Branches: 4.3, 4.4
>>
>> BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=13977
>
> +1 from reading
>
>> Q: How can character_set_* affect blob fields?
>> A: Blobs do not have character sets. However connection, file
>> system and database do have them. Therefore under certain condition
>> ~binary~ data may become corrupted when it is sent from the
>> application to the database. I do not have a link under hand but
>> during my search I found that one such case caused hard to track
>> problems with OpenID logins. After changing blob data from binary
>> to binary safe, the problem was fixed. This is what this patch does
>> too.
>
> I had the same issue with serialized data in another non-TYPO3
> project. I couldn't track down the
> exact situation what triggers the error (not all rows were
> affected), but using base64 is a safe
> workaround. But I admit it wasn't my idea, I found it on the Net
> when doing a search if others had
> the same problem.
>
> Masi

I think I did mention that before about using base64,
but this seems to be a common technique to store binary data in a
MySQL field for other projects. It basically by-passes the transport
layer
from/to the DB which seems to be not fully understood by some software
engineers.
This specially happens when storing PHP serialized data where the length
of each field is stored within the serialized array.
It's also not for nothing that some other DB's do have API's
to store binary data.

Ries