[TYPO3-core] RFC #11433: touch(): Utime failed in install tool

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Tue Sep 29 12:40:08 CEST 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:12:36 +0200, Martin Kutschker
<masi-no at spam-typo3.org> wrote:

> And then, what? If a failed check doesn't lead to a report to the admin
> you could have used @ with
> the same effect. The error goes away, but you have no idea that the
> touch failed.

Didnt't we want to omit @s? Of course, this would lead to the same result
and suppress the warning.

The result of not updating the utime is a locked install tool after one
hour and the file is deleted (because only access rights of the
typo3conf-directory count while deleting a file [1]).
Then the user is explained that it was older than one hour and deleted
therefore.

Improvements of this message could add the KEEP_FILE "property" and they
MUST include a hint to the button in "User settings".

If we have no write-access to the file, we can't to anything than delete
it after one hour. So only failed prolongation of the validity period is
now silently acquiesced (instead of shouting out error messages loud and
also not being able to do anything).

Hope these explanations convince you, why I'm for just silently ignoring
the missing rights.

Regards
Steffen