[TYPO3-core] RFC #11979: TCEforms suggest doesn't find everything on large sites and is slow

Andreas Wolf typo3ml at andreaswolf.info
Thu Sep 17 07:40:45 CEST 2009

Steffen Gebert schrieb:
> thanks for your fast reply

No problem, it's my patch, so I have to care for it even after it has
been committed ;)

>> I kind of anticipated this problem - but it should be manageable if you
>> insert some TSconfig in the root pages of your subtrees. This should
>> look something like this:
>>
>> TCEform.default.suggest.pidList = <pid of the root subtree>
> But I have to set this for each single user :(

If your structure requires this, yes. But normally you would only use
this for e.g. department-sections or similar substructures. I don't know
your exact setup, so I can't really tell. But anyways, this whole
discussion shows some problems with the current state of this feature,
and I think we should fix them before 4.3.

> I think, then all possible pids (pidList + children) are added to the SQL
> query, aren't they?

Yes, but that's not possible any other way because of the structure how
items are stored in TYPO3 or more general in most relational database
models. If we had e.g. nested tree sets implemented, getting items would
be a lot easier - but this would pose other problems when updating these
large data sets.

> Admins of districts would have about 5000 pages in the resulting query

That of course is too much - I don't know how MySQL handles these large
WHERE clauses or IN statements, but I doubt that they will be handled in
a way you could seriously call efficient...

Any MySQL experts to the rescue? ;)

Regards
Andreas