[TYPO3-core] RFC #9355: Add an error and exception handler (backported from FLOW3)

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Mon Sep 7 15:58:30 CEST 2009

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:41:26 +0200, Ingo Renner <ingo at typo3.org> wrote:

> Problem:
> Although we we use exceptions now, we do not have an exception handler
> yet.
>
> Solution:
> FLOW3 offers a quite nice exception handler that is easy to adopt for
> TYPO3 4.x. The attached patch introduces a backport of that error and
> exception handling system.
>
> Notes, how it works:
> First, there is an error handler that transforms errors into exceptions
> Then there are two different exception handler, one for production, and
> one for debugging / development.
> The debug exception handler shows a nice backtrace of the exception. The
> production exception handler only displays a message that something went
> wrong. Both handlers provide a link to typo3.org to look up details on
> what went wrong.
> Whether the debug exception handler is chosen depends on your setting of
> SYS.displayErrors (set to "2" it will also show you the debug backtrace
> when coming from the devIPmask, but to nobody else).

Hi Ingo,

I had only a quick look, but I'm against hardcoded error templates and
messages.
Is there a way to override default message/template? What's with
pageUnnavailable_handling?
Error messages should also meet a site's CI!

Also I don't understand, why a visitor gets a link to typo3.org. IMHO
he/she should only get "someting's not working. come again later" ;-)

But nice patch. Hope I'll find time to test it later!

Steffen