[TYPO3-core] RFC #11828: There's no possibility to hide versioning and workspaces

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Sep 4 11:47:46 CEST 2009

Hi,

>     * It is now possible to disable versioning and workspaces by
> un-installing the extension "version" which is no longer a required
> extension. If "version" is not installed all versioning and workspace
> related controls are removed from the backend user interface. Not
> installing "version" will improve the backend performance because a lot
> of database operations are not needed anymore.

Sounds good.

Don't put so many empty lines, I nearly missed the end of your mail ;-)

> but the fact that versioning (and also fe-editing, simulatestatic,
> cshmanual ...) have to be re-enabled with the update wizard when
> updating an exiting site, should be mentioned at a prominent place in
> this doc.
>
> where and how?

I haven't followed too closely the thread entitled "How can we improve
the update process?" in the typo3.projects.typo3_4-3.general list. Did
it come up with anything yet?

Also with every major release Thomas Esders has come up with a guide to
new stuff, which could include instructions for upgrading. We just have
to make sure that such document is ready for publication at the same
time as 4.3 is released, maybe by helping Thomas write it. Then we
inform people via the main mailing lists (English, Dev) and maybe some
banner on the typo3.org home page.

We don't have a really universal way of communicating, so we just have
to make as much noise as possible.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter