[TYPO3-core] [FYI] Changed DBAL to svn:externals

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Sep 3 17:13:03 CEST 2009

Xavier Perseguers schrieb:

>>> It really would please me not having to send, let's see... a
>>> "reminder #1", a "reminder #7", and a "reminder #9".
>>>
>>> Come on...
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly what is missing, but "dbal" is now using
>> svn:externals at least...
>
> From my point of view:
>
> - Reading an official "you are now entitled to commit", perhaps with a
> summary of what was decided "inside", even if I guess I know the process
> - Having management access to DBAL projet on bugs.typo3.org
> - According to Sebastian's post: for me it means waiting until
> svn:externals point to a tag, even if it won't do any harm if this
> update is properly done
>
> In short, just have some official statement that allows me to quietly
> enhance DBAL and knowing that I do it "right" as when I read overview of
> project's homepage ([1]), it does not seem to have changed a lot. The
> same for the associated repository in Forge that still point to the old
> repository, making it quite hard for some external person to use DBAL
> trunk without digging into some internals of SVN.
>
> Moreover even if the process is quite clear for me, I would like to know
> how the release to TER is supposed to work. I heard a lot from what was
> planned but since the use of svn:externals (finally), nothing! For me
> something was either forgotten (info) or the process is not yet ended...
>
> Cheers

This is not really "official" but here is what I suppose:

- DBAL is now on a separate external SVN, even if forge still points to
the core-trunk one. Here:
https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Extensions/dbal/trunk

- DBAL team, meaning Karsten, Xavier, Moreno and Michael Miousse can
commit to this repository, but using some "+1" process inside the team
(and probably more unburocratic than in the core list) to make sure we
only have stable and reviewed code getting in.

- people using svn-trunk from the core automatically will get the latest
stable DBAL code, as it is linked as svn:external. Currently it is fixed
to "-r 23900 https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Extensions/dbal/trunk/". I
guess until release of TYPO3 4.3 we could also drop the
release-stickyness and keep svn:external pointing to the latest revision
of dbal-trunk. After the release of 4.3 create a dbal-branch for
continuing development for 4.3 fixes and continue developing trunk for
typo3-trunk (aiming 4.4).

Important to the core is to know that DBAL-trunk is never "broke". If
DBAL will be release to TER or not I don't know (and in reality I don't
care). If we ship the latest stable DBAL with TYPO3-src, why should we
have it also on TER?

The team needs access to the bug tracker, of course.

Cheers,
Ernesto