[TYPO3-core] RFC: #11242: Feature: Clear User Session Data

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Sep 2 18:01:11 CEST 2009

Steffen Kamper wrote:
  >>> Reset to defaults means clear _all_ data and set to default,
>>> this patch resets only the data that isn't in the user configuration
>>> (means temp data, status data etc.)
>>
>> Sounds confusing to me. Imagine an end user who will always click both
>> buttons because he's not aware what each of them do.
>>

> wait until Jeff delivers the description, will be clear imho.

Thanks for your confidence Steffen :)  Finally made it back around to
this patch and can give a +1 on reading and testing for the overall
functionality, provided some usability issues are addressed.  I've
needed this feature on several occasions when t3quixplorer data is
corrupt but don't want to completely reset my user.

I do see Stucki's point about users clicking both buttons, but I think
that can be addressed through some clearer labels.  I'm attaching a
screenshot with updated labels; I think the behavior is completely clear
now but the middle button may have too much wording in it.  Any
suggestions for a more concise description that still tells people that
they don't need to click both buttons?

Aside from the labels, there's also a small issue with the data that
gets cleared when "Clear Temporary Data" is clicked. In looking at ->uc
on several sites, both interfaceSetup (which backend interface you're
currently using) and TSFE_adminConfig (admin panel settings) would be
cleared as temp data.  Steffen and I discussed this the best solution
seems to be adding these two fields to TYPO3_USER_SETTINGS as passthroughs.

Thanks,
Jeff