[TYPO3-core] RFC #12391: Remove deprecated methods in t3lib_htmlmail

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Oct 29 12:53:01 CET 2009

Xavier Perseguers schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> This is an SVN patch request.
>
> Type: cleanup
>
> Bugtracker reference:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=12391
>
> Branches: trunk only
>
> Problem:
> Methods quoted_printable() and convertName() were announced to be
> removed in TYPO3 4.3
>
> Solution:
> Actually do what was said.

I had to giggle when reading this function:

public function convertName($name) {
	return $name;
}

WTF was that for?? :)

In general I am for removing deprecated methods, especially if it is
some unmaintained code that might add security or functionality problem
(or hinder unit tests).

But for wrapper methods that are there for "old applications" to still
work, I don't see the sense in doing that. It does more harm than good.
The "one-liner" method doesn't need maintainance and nobody will care
that it still is there, but lots will care if it is removed.

I would postpone the removal to some time where the whole construct gets
really refactored. Adding deprecation logs now should be sufficient.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Ernesto