[TYPO3-core] RFC: #12229: stdWrap has date but no gmdate

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Wed Oct 14 15:57:33 CEST 2009

> i think this goes in a direction which is very specific and seldom
> used (but need big coding)

Seldom for which usergroup?
TYPO3 always claims to offer "enterprise" content management, and one
identifier for many "enterprise" level companies: They are global players.

Global players means: Events that happen for attendees from all over the
world must be displayed in their particular timezone.
This is especially true for online events like videoconferences or virtual
classrooms.

> So i would say let's stick to version 2 which use gmdate/gmstrftime as
> this has real usecase (timestamp in core are stored as UTC)

There are many real usecases for timezones especially when it comes to
events and/or calendars.

> For the very special usecases with different zones there is still the
> option prioriCalc where you can add offsets in seconds manually.

You are kidding, aren't you?
PHP offers all the necessary functions to calculate a timestamp based on a
certain timezone, so why not implement this into TypoScript?

I don't see the "big coding" issues you mentioned, it will be just a few
more lines than the patch you already attached.
If you think this will be too much work for now, maybe it could be a task
for T3UXW09 in November, since IMHO this would be a huge usability
improvement for anybody who is working with calendars and/or events in
TYPO3.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian