[TYPO3-core] RFC #12130: Improve performance of flashmessages

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Oct 6 12:12:02 CEST 2009

Hi Rupert,

> this is a SVN patch request.
>
> Type: performance improvement
>
> Bugtracker references:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=12130
>
> Branches: Trunk
>
> Problem:
> The current handling of flashmessages in the list module is very
> unefficient and slows down the BE if there are a a lot of messages.
> Every single flashmessage is stored in the DB causing a lot of database
> load.
>
> Solution:
> store the messages in a static object instead of using the DB.

Hum, this implies that flash messages are shown at the end of the script
processing, before the request ends. Is it always the case?

Isn't it possible _yet_ that a request prepares flash messages that are
shown with another HTTP request? I guess if we use an ExtJS-based
module, we will have actions that are asynchronous and that push Flash
messages while another process (with AJAX) fetches those Flash messages
and show them. Without a DB or storing them in the session (would be
quicker than DB I guess), how is a static variable supposed to work when
PHP is stateless?

--
Xavier Perseguers
MVC ExtJS Leader