[TYPO3-core] RFC #12022: PHP-5.3 warning about missing references with some extensions

Franz Holzinger franz at ttproducts.de
Fri Nov 6 18:36:37 CET 2009

Oliver Hader a écrit :
> Hi Franz,
>
> Franz Holzinger schrieb:
>> Dan Osipov a écrit :
>>> If 1.2.1 is incompatible with 1.2.0 it should have been named 1.3.0 or
>>> 2.0.0 to begin with. Last decimal is for small bugfix releases, such
>>> as what is described in this case.
>>>
>>> Dan Osipov
>> Yes, but in most cases you will realize the incompatibility in some
>> cases after and not before you upload into TER. And you cannot fix this
>> any more.
>> And IMHO many users want to see major feature changes when the second
>> version number changes.
>
> Yes, that's also the reason why Mircosoft publishes new versions like
> Windows Vista or Windows 7... They do not put everything into Windows
> 3.11 and release it again in 2009.

Does this mean that you want that new versions of extensions are
uploaded into TER only every 5 years?

> I don't see the point. If an extension needs an update - for whatever
> reasons - the version number is increased. Reusing version numbers while
> the code changed does not make sense. Imagine discussions like "Do you
> use version 1.2.0 from February 2007 or version 1.2.0 from August 2009?"

IMHO the change from '&$conf' to '$conf' is only a very very small fix,
which is very very necessary in the case if you upgrade to PHP 5.3.
AFAIK even Microsoft offers patches for Windows XP even after years
after having published it for the first time.

- Franz