[TYPO3-core] RFC #11587: PHP Warnings concerning missing timezone settings under PHP 5.3

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Thu Nov 5 11:33:28 CET 2009

Rupert Germann schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> this is a SVN patch request.
>
> Type: Bugfix
>
> Bugtracker references:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=11587
>
> Branches: Trunk
>
> Problem:
> On systems running PHP 5.3 with a php.ini that does not contain a value
> for "date.timezone" the following warning is displayed in the Backend
> (e.g. in the list module): Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not
> safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to
> use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set()
> function.....
>

> Solution:
> add a new conf vars parameter "phpDateTimeZone" which allows admins to
> set the timezone (default is "CET"). This is the same as
> "serverTimeZone" which is also set to CET (GMT+1) by default.

Yes, to the possibility to set the timezone. But name it simply $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['timeZone']
because this is what it is :)

No, to force CET. The way you added it all systems run with CET. It's OK for me to default to CET
though I'd prefer GMT as a fallback (!) if neither date.timezone nor
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['timeZone'] is set. The check should go somewhere to config_defaults.php.

Ideally the installer would detect if date.timezone is not set and prompt the user to set it.

Masi