[TYPO3-core] RFC #11177: Feature: New options noRescale and resolutionFactor for getImgResource()

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Mon May 25 14:55:59 CEST 2009

On May 25, 2009, at 4:01 AM, Franz Koch wrote:

> Hi Ries,
>
>> DPI For screen doesn't make sense, DPI is used for raster images only
>> (print industry)
>>
>> See it like this: if your screen is 42" with a resolution of 1024x768
>> then your so called 'DPI'
>> is totally different then a 10" netbook with the same resolution.
>> (both
>> are not 72 DPI).
>>
>> So a DPI setting for screen media is totally bogus.
>
> yes, it doesn't make sense for screens, but you also don't need to set
> it for onscreen images. You only use this setting if you have TYPO3
> generating print output (may it be PDF or a prepress image for
> download)
> - and for that this is very useful. Or think of a online shop with
> lots
> of products and high-res images and TYPO3 is the managing software for
> that. So, TYPO3 would be used for generating the online shop which is
> nothing outstanding these days. But by TYPO3 having prepress features,
> you could also create XML-product sheets with links to dynamically
> prescaled prepress images (300dpi) that you could use in your DTP
> workflow to generate your print catalog (DB-driven catalog creation is
> not that uncommon anymore these days).
>
>> also, that the setting the in the install tool 'works' doesn't mean
>> the
>> setting is right,
>> it has properly something to do with internal processing of text on
>> images.
>
> As Xavier explained, it's the internal scaling/mapping factor from pt
> font-sizes to pixel font-sizes. And it's only needed, because Freetype
> once changed their behavior and there could be differences based on
> the
> webservers OS.
>
>> So please stay away from any DPI setting in typo3 for images and text
>> (except for that TTFDPI thing??)
>
> As mentioned above - this setting is only needed and useful in
> combination with print output - so for this it makes sense.
>
> --
> kind regards,
> Franz Koch

Franz,

I did read the whole thread and I see what the intention is now.

If a DPI is specified, how would you specify the width and the height
(in inch or cm)
for images then??
Currently TYPO3 'supports' only image sizes in pixels. I can imagine
that 'some' calculation
can be done 'assuming' a Screen DPI is 72 or 96 DPI. But maby stefan
can explain
how the calculations work internally?

Further...
A DPI setting makes only sense if you can specify correct width and
height for a image (IMHO).

I have also worked on DB driven catalogs myself but we decided not
to let anything be rendered by TYPO3 but we used LaTeX and
a custom extension that utilizes PDFLib for Index creation, page
number for odd/even pages etc.
Currently we make on-demand flyers with it an catalogs.

The mayor problem with TYPO3 as your render engine is that TYPO3 (and
the web)
doesn't support the CMYK color model and you cannot define your
page very well so using TYPO3 as your typesetter is just bogus and
will never work really well (but can work if allow for concessions).

Ries