[TYPO3-core] RFC #5381: htmlspecialchars and noBlur for tt_content.menu

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon May 18 11:53:31 CEST 2009

Susanne Moog wrote: on 18.05.2009 10:38:
> Martin Kutschker schrieb:
>> Susanne Moog schrieb:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> This is an SVN patch request.
>>>
>>> Type: Feature, Cosmetic, Nobrainer
>>>
>>> BT Reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=5381
>>>
>>> Branch: trunk
>>>
>>> Problem:
>>> The tt_content.menu.default is missing an htmlspecialchars and a noBlur
>>> that is there for all the other menu types.
>> htmlspecialchars is good. noBlur is bad. I see that it makes sense to
>> have consistency but I rather see noBlur consistently removed.
>
> Would be no problem, too - I'll do another check.
>
> Is it possible that the description in TSref is a bit strange?
>
> Description in TSref is: "If this property is set, the link is NOT
> blurred (browser-default) with "onFocus"."
>
> Now answer: is not blurring or blurring the default behavior?

The default of browsers is *not* to blur on focus: that means that on
"focus" the link will be highlighted (usually with a dotted border).

But IE (since v4) has the annoying feature to also display these dotted
outlines when the user "clicks" on a link ("active"): some find that
annoying. This is where the "blur" javascript was born. This javascript
is added automatically on every menu link (onfocus it "blurs" right
away, so avoiding the outline).

But this turns out to be very "unaccessible", since it also hides the
outline when browsing through the links using the TAB key.

So for any accessible site (and as a css_styled_content default) we
should not fiddle with the "blurring" on "focus", which is why we need
to change the MENU defaults to "noBlur=1". Which is why I wouldn't
remove them, but add the one you found out to be missing, Susanne.

I think Masi meant that "blur on focus" is bad (the added javascript),
and not that "noBlur=1" (not adding the javascript) is bad. Masi?

Cheers,
Ernesto