[TYPO3-core] RFC: #11110 Add Extbase and Fluid as System Extensions

Sebastian KurfŸürst sebastian at typo3.org
Mon May 18 10:35:42 CEST 2009

Hi Ernesto,

I've been again thinking about the further development process of
Extbase and Fluid. Currently we are still committing very rapidly (>10
commits a day), and it would quite slow us down when we'd need to write
an FYI every time. Thus I'd propose the solution below:

> I would include it as external until beta, then add as sysext and
> continue after that with FYI-based commits from your team until release.
> That should speed up improvements / fixes.

I just talked to Jochen and I think this is the right way to go.
 From Alpha3 to Beta, there will be still some bigger refactorings going
on to clean up (mostly) internal API. Thus there will be versions of
Extbase which might not always work. To fix this, I propose the following:

- We use SVN externals to include Extbase / Fluid into sysext, but we
"pin" it to a certain revision number (using -r in svn:externals)
- We develop Extbase / Fluid in CoreProjects as it is right now,
potentially with lots of commits during a day
- As soon as a big refactoring or another feature is completed, we write
a FYI mail to the core list and increase the revision which is fetched
by svn:externals.

Thus, the version of Extbase in trunk will be more stable then in
CoreProjects, and we will update the revision numbers in SVN externals
every few days.

If that is good with everybody, I'll add the SVN:externals definition
this afternoon. (@Olly in case you want to release earlier, you are
welcome to do this as well!)

Greets,
Sebastian